Received the newsletter, didn't ask for it

player242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Today, for the first time, I was emailed the Giant Bomb Crew newsletter, featuring Jan. Only issue is I never asked for it, or intentionally signed up. I sure didn't touch a thing regarding my Giant Bomb account in many, many months.

It even came with a GBoptin@ sender address. I most certainly did not opt in.

Now, I'm not upset or anything, and realize there's an Unsubscribe link at the bottom, which, again intentionally, I did not try clicking. Honestly, I mostly was too lazy / perplexed to sign up in the first place. An email newsletter?! Like what the hell, in this century?

In the end I'm mostly curious if it's a bug that I got signed up for the newsletter without my asking, or an intentional change to drive up subscriber numbers?

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a fan of the newsletters, but yeah, if you've been auto added then that sucks.

Jarno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The same has happened to me. I just got the newsletter without opting in. Not mad, but it does appear to be a bug of some sort.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Same here.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here, though reading it I realized I wouldn’t mind getting them so I hit the subscibe button just in case this was a one time fluke.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Ironically I'm signed up but I didn't get this weeks newsletter a spam filter must have caught it.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@pezen: @jarno: @player242: Hey I think this is a bit of user error on my part, unfortunately. It shouldn't happen again but I apologize for the inconvenience.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: A lot of people have said that it went to their spam folder; apologies!

eureca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never check my spam folder. I randomly did check today and I saw this email from GBoptin@outbound.giantbomb.com.

Had me wondering if it was legit or not. I wouldn't mind receiving the newsletter. Just didn't know if it was safe to click on or anything.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't receive the most recent newsletter from Jan, it usually has been delivered reliably before that (and never went to spam). Do I need to resubscribe?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@permanentsigh: Have you checked your spam filter? It might be in there! If not the text of them usually winds up in the unofficial subreddit, I believe.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: didn’t arrive in my spam folder either. Just have one lonely ray ban spam email sitting in there.